We all know how important and valuable data is in our lives.
We all have it in some type or form with some of it being personal while other being job or businesses related. Regardless of the type, shape, or form, we all generate significant amounts of it during our daily personal and professional lives.
Many times however, we forget to successfully safeguard it putting ourselves through very unhealthy levels of stress and jeopardizing the information beyond hope. If the data is of a personal nature, we tend to tolerate the misfortune more than if it is job or business related.
After a period of personal dissatisfaction, disappointment, or self-punishment, we accept our data hardship and reluctantly begin to rebuild it or recreate it. Furthermore, if the data we lost is work or business related, our feelings of desperation and misery are many times worse than the personal ones.
This is because the loss of this type of data has profound ramification that could significantly change our lives. This is the reason why many business, companies, or institutions should develop and implement IT (Information Technologies) data prevention/recovery plans that can provide high levels of data security, integrity, and overall peace of mind.
To further illustrate this need, allow me to briefly reference an unfortunate but very real event that a small and rather data-diligent business enterprise had to endure not too long ago.
It was very difficult to understand how such a diligent and data processing, security and management enterprise could have fallen victims to this misfortune. Suffice it to say that after their technological awful ordeal and a painful post mortem meeting, they realized that there were some technology elements or events that they should have been taken into account and incorporate them into their daily data management routings.
They found out that it is was not enough to just conduct periodic data backups and brief log inspections, but to also perform random and detail data backup checks in order to ensure the data’s growth integrity and accuracy. They realized that the backup report logs were providing inaccurate or incomplete information failing to include important modification made to the data. Here is a short list of findings they uncovered during their post mortem meeting.
They found out that…
- Multiple data backup application / sources / destinations were added later and not accounted for.
- There were inconsistent and incomplete server backups that were incorrectly reported.
- Backup successful messages report made everyone believe that all backups were good with some of them however rendered unusable.
- Multiple systems dependencies overlooked during Backup design or dependent system added later and not accounted for
- Some backups had never been adjusted to account for systems changes over time.
- No DR testing was ever done
There were additional areas of processes that should have been considered and implemented but they were not. The company learned a valuable lesson which turned out to be expensive and very time consuming. Many of its employees worked long hours and had several sleepless night. To this day, they only recovered 90% of their data and are still working to recreate the other 10% of their information.
How well are you protecting your data? and How do you know?
If you need assistance answering these questions contact us any time! We will be glad to work with your ensuring that your can answer them confidently. But most importantly, to help you ensure the safety and integrity of your valuable data. Below are a few questions that should help you determine the possible need for a data prevention intervention. If you answer “Yes” to any of them, we highly recommend that you conduct a data backup check as soon as possible. Feel free to call us to help you with it.
- Question One Goes Here?
- Question Two Goes Here?
- Question Three Goes Here?
For additional information or learn more about data prevention/recovery contact us or call 312.550.3883.